Where 2.0 opening – testing, testing, is this thing on
I am going to try to keep the ‘tradition’ going that we started at the Dev Summit and live blog the opening keynotes as Where 2.0 kicks off. While we wait for the start I will mention that we will be posting audio nightly, but I doubt if we will get it all up before the end of the conference.
Brady and Matt just jumped on stage and are getting things started.
- They are generally discussing why Where2.0 is important.
- technologies that surround the ideas
- I just had a realization that much of this is actually Particpatory GIS
- Geospatial web – driven by geolocation
- Augmented reality and cartography
- Tricorder challenge – make a device or service that will allow you to pull location-based informtion just like Spock
- geospatial search
- Open standards geoweb software
- More standards are still needed
Steve Coast, OpenStreetMap
- Wiki mapping
- Check out the most recent OpenGeoData podcast for a similar talk
- TIGER lines are being imported and are editable just like the rest of OSM data
Steve Lawler – Microsoft
- Virtual Earth is the focus of discussion
- Geocommunity built on Mix-in’s
- Talked about sensor webs, (eg traffic cams)
- GeoRSS support in VE API